What should I know about insurance before signing a contract with an outside entity?

  • Only certain campus officials are authorized to sign contracts on behalf of the University.  Before anything else, consult University Counsel at 703-993-2619.
  • For purchase orders and procurement contracts, boilerplate language specifies the kind of insurance the vendor is to supply, so queries should be directed to the Purchasing Department.
  • For leases or other contracts involving the use of outside property, consult University Counsel at 703-993-2619.
  • These offices coordinate their insurance strategies with the Office of Risk Management, so there’s no need to call us directly.