Property Insurance

The Commonwealth’s Division of Risk Management has developed a Property Insurance Plan, which is comprised of self-insurance and commercial insurance. The PLAN covers all University-owned buildings; University contents and equipment on or off campus; loss of business-related income; and, in certain cases, extra expense incurred to expedite repairs and continue necessary and critical University operations. Since the Property Insurance Plan also includes coverage for Equipment Breakdown losses, it represents a combined program of coverage that will reimburse State agencies for repair or replacement of lost or damaged property from such perils as fire, lightning, windstorm, theft, flooding, sudden and accidental breakdown of machinery, and other covered perils. 

University property includes all items acquired through a Commonwealth purchase order, by contract, a care-custody-and-control loan agreement, or as a gift.  It also includes University funds and other monetary instruments.  The role of Operational Risk Management is to assist Mason departments in preparing property claims and financially recovering for incurred losses. 

Property Coverage for University owned buildings and contents is worldwide and is based on the actual replacement or repair cost, whichever is less but all losses are subject to a departmental deductible of $1,000 per occurrence, paid by the department(s) that suffered the loss.  In cases where the same covered cause of loss/peril affected several departments, the $1,000 deductible is prorated among the departments involved. Reimbursement of the excess above the deductible amount occurs after the department has paid for the repair or replacement cost. 

Personal Property Insurance

Personal property belonging to employees or students that is located on University premises  is not covered by the University’s property insurance coverage. However, if their property is damaged due to  a negligent act or omission on the part of the University, there is possible coverage. It is strongly recommended that individuals having personal property at the University contact their insurance agent for appropriate insurance coverage, such as homeowners or renters insurance, to protect their personal possessions.  

Domestic and International Shipments

The Commonwealth’s Property Insurance Plan also insures University property, and in some cases the property of others, while located away from the University or in transit anywhere in the world with the exception of certain high-risk countries. Prior to the University’s equipment or other property being taken away from the University, the following must be done:  

  • Make a list of all applicable equipment;  
  • Note each item’s replacement value;  
  • Note the locations the University property will be transported to;  
  • Note the time period it will be away from the University;  
  • Indicate how equipment will be safeguarded; and  
  • Obtain documented approval from the appropriate dean or department head and send this information to Operational Risk Management.  

Check with the Office of Research Integrity and Assurance for any export control restrictions that may apply. 

Fine Arts, Antiques and Other Special Collections

Fine arts and other valuable collections are covered at their appraised or stated value. Since a loss is more difficult to adjust without appraisals, and attempting to obtain an appraisal after an article is damaged or stolen is difficult, it is strongly recommended that evidence of the replacement value of such items be obtained in advance. 


This is specialized coverage for the replacement or repair of items such as boilers; fired and unfired pressure vessels; refrigerating or air conditioning systems along with any piping and its accessory equipment; and any mechanical or electrical machine or apparatus used for the generation, transmission or utilization of mechanical or electrical power. There is coverage whenever there is a sudden and accidental breakdown of the items listed above or any parts of those items. At the time the breakdown occurs, it must manifest itself by physical damage to the object that necessitates repair or replacement.