International Emergency Insurance

Travel accident and emergency insurance coverage is available for employees (upon employment) and students (insurance payment is required upon registration in the GEO Travel Registration System) traveling on the following:

  • International Educational Travel: Any international travel undertaken by a student in association with a credit-bearing course, or by a student or participant in a non-credit-bearing course. International travel may include: study abroad courses, independent study, internships or student research; or experiential learning or field experiences.
  • University Related Travel -Any international travel activities engaged in by a student or employee in their capacity as students or employees. This includes but is not limited to instruction, research, conferences, presentations, recruiting, site or program assessment, research or development.
  • University Sponsored Travel- Any means by which the University approves, funds, manages, promotes, admits into, or operates international activities whether directly or through a subcontractor; this included volunteers and agents of the university.
  • Personal Deviation- The university provided emergency insurance for international travel will cover a maximum of 14 days personal deviation, if you plan to travel before and/or after the dates of your university-approved or university-sponsored travel.  If you are adding more that 14 days personal deviation, you will need to purchase your own additional insurance coverage.

Awareness: Emergencies can escalate quickly when you are traveling away from home. To ensure the best possible coverage George Mason University has acquired the insurance services of Mercer Campus Travel Assistance Service. Mercer, in partnership with Chubb Insurance Company, provide evacuation, emergency and informational services.

Studying and traveling abroad requires many of the same health and safety precautions that one would take in the U.S. However, participants need to be aware of additional risks that may be unique to traveling abroad and living in a particular country or region. It is recommended that student visit the State Department Advisories page as well as the country specific information available through our insurance provider portal, Mercer Travel Assist.

*Please note that the International Emergency Insurance does not include general medical coverage.  Medical Insurance carried by most full-time faculty and staff is usually applicable overseas; however each traveler should confirm this with their individual carrier. Students should also check with their health insurance provider to confirm their coverage extends overseas.

Who Is Covered? 

Employees traveling on official University business are covered worldwide, 24 hours a day.  The benefits extend to their lawful spouses, domestic partner and children traveling with them. Please refer to the definitions document under the Forms, Guides & Information box for a detailed description.

Students traveling overseas who are participating in off-campus activities sponsored and supervised by the University are covered worldwide, 24 hours a day.

Registration for International Emergency Insurance

Accurate information on travel plans is needed in order to deliver the services and protections the travel insurance policy offers.

  • Employees are responsible for registering group travel activities with the Global Education Office (GEO).
  • Students who arrange independent international educational travel must register their trip in the GEO Travel Registration System.  Each student will be required to submit payment during trip registration and will receive proof of insurance once completed. Students traveling as part of a university-sponsored group should follow registration procedures outlined by the program administrator, college or school.
  • Insurance coverage for employees travelling without a student group should request insurance documents using the International Emergency Insurance Registration Form at least two weeks prior to departure.

Declaration of Coverage Letter

Faculty/Staff: If the country to which you are traveling is requesting proof of insurance coverage please complete the Declaration of Coverage Letter Request. The Office of Risk Management will provide this letter after we verify that your trip has been registered and is in compliance with University Policy 1134, University-Sponsored or University-Related International Travel.

Students: Students traveling on education abroad programs or university-sponsored independent needing coverage documentation should submit the Student Declaration of Coverage Letter Request or contact GEO at

Travel to Hazardous Areas

Student and employee travel that is university-related or university-sponsored is restricted from any area affected by the following:

  1. U.S. Department of State Travel Advisories Level 3 (Reconsider Travel) and 4 (Do Not Travel);
  2. Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Warning Level 3; or
  3. Comprehensive economic sanctions.

Please refer to University Policy 1134 for details regarding travel to hazardous locations and sanctioned countries.

Coverage Benefits

Travel Chart