International Travel Insurance
Travel accident and emergency insurance benefits are available for employees and students traveling on the following:
- university related business -Any instructional research or business connected to or affiliated with the University. This included but is not limited to conferences, presentations, recruiting, site or program assessment, research and development.
- university sponsored trips- Any means by which the University approves, funds, manages, promoted, admits into, or operates international activities.
Awareness: Emergencies can escalate quickly when you are traveling away from home. To ensure the best possible coverage George Mason University has acquired the insurance services of Mercer Campus Travel Assistance Service. Mercer, in partnership with Ace Insurance Company and iJet, provide evacuation, emergency and informational services.
Studying and traveling abroad requires many of the same health and safety precautions that one would take in the U.S. However, participants need to be aware of additional risks that may be unique to traveling abroad and living in a particular country or region. It is recommended that student visit the State Department Alerts and Warnings page as well as the country specific information available through our insurance provider portal, Mercer Travel Assist.
*Please note that the International Travel Insurance does not include general medical coverage. Medical Insurance carried by most full-time faculty and staff is usually applicable overseas; however each traveler should confirm this with their individual carrier. Students should also check with their health insurance provider to confirm their coverage extends overseas.
Who Is Covered?
Employees traveling on official University business are covered worldwide, 24 hours a day. The benefits extend to their lawful spouses, domestic partner and children traveling with them. Please refer to the definitions document under the Forms, Guides & Information box for a detailed description.
Students traveling overseas who are participating in off-campus activities sponsored and supervised by the University are covered worldwide, 24 hours a day.
Registration for Travel Insurance
Accurate information on travel plans is needed in order to deliver the services and protections the travel insurance policy offers.
- Employees are responsible for registering group travel activities with Mason Study Abroad.
- Students who arrange independent international educational travel must register their trip in the Mason Abroad Travel Registration System. Each student will be required to submit payment during trip registration and will receive proof of insurance once completed. Students traveling as part of a university sponsored group should follow registration procedures outlined by the program administrator, college or school.
- Insurance coverage for employees travelling without a student group (university sponsored business travel) should request insurance documents using the International Emergency Insurance Registration Form. *Please note that your travel must be registered/approved by your sponsoring department before requesting insurance coverage.
Declaration of Coverage Letter
If the country to which you are traveling is requesting proof of insurance coverage please complete the Declaration of Coverage Letter Request. The Office of Risk Management will provide this letter after we verify that your trip has been registered and is in compliance with University Policy 1134 International Educational Travel.
Forms, Guides & Information
- International Emergency Insurance Registration Form
- Summary of Benefits for Education Abroad
- Summary of Benefits for International Travel
- Declaration of Coverage Request
- Claim Form
- Claim Submission Instructions
- Mercer Assistance Services
- Online Portal Overview
- Mercer Campus Travel Assistance Services_Flyer