For questions regarding insurance for travel/study abroad visit International Emergency Insurance FAQ’s


c Expand All C Collapse All

No, student organizations are not covered under Mason insurance.


No.  Students performing internships/externships are not volunteers.  Their activities must be documented using an Externship/Internship agreement Form.

  • Only certain campus officials are authorized to sign contracts on behalf of the University.  Before anything else, consult University Counsel at 703-993-2619.
  • For purchase orders and procurement contracts, boilerplate language specifies the kind of insurance the vendor is to supply, so queries should be directed to the Purchasing Department.
  • For leases or other contracts involving the use of outside property, consult University Counsel at 703-993-2619.
  • These offices coordinate their insurance strategies with the Office of Risk Management, so there’s no need to call us directly.

Contact the Office of Risk Management prior to putting the watercraft in service.  Be prepared to provide the following information:

  • Appraisal, with value, of watercraft
  • Hull make, size and identification number

The Office of Risk Management (ORM) provides proof of insurance coverage.  Complete the Certificate of Coverage Request and forward the completed form to ORM (MSN 6D6 or fax 703-993-2339).

Once we have the request and any contracts or agreement associated with the request, ORM will be able to draw up the certificate; it will be signed and forwarded as specified on the request form.

It is strongly recommended that a written contract or memorandum of understanding be prepared that states the responsibilities of both parties.  In general, the landlord should be responsible for the safe condition of the facility.  Mason should be responsible for only the event and the negligent acts or omissions of its employees and agents.  Items like security, parking, and maintenance should be addressed in the contract.  If the landlord insists that GMU indemnify, hold harmless, or make the property owner an additional insured, the matter must be referred to the Office of Risk Management (ORM) and University Counsel.  In addition, if requested, ORM will send the other party a Certificate of Insurance that will demonstrate Mason’s insurance coverage.

No, all vendors, contractors, and other groups using Mason property must show proof of their own insurance.

First seek medical attention.  If the injury is serious contact University Police (703-993-2810) and the Office of Risk Management (703-993-2599) in accordance with University Policy 1404.  If you are an employee contact HR Workers Compensation (703-993-2600) and file a First Report of Accident Form.

If there is imminent danger call 911, other wise notify the department responsible and the Office of Risk Management (703-993-2599) in accordance with University Policy 1404.

The University insures all the property it owns, on and off campus.  Under certain circumstances it also insures property departments rent, lease, or borrow.  Property coverage is worldwide and is based on the actual replacement or repair cost.  Further, there is a $1,000 deductible per claim, paid by the department(s) that suffered the loss.

Report the incident to University Police (703-993-2810) and the Office of Risk Management (703-993-2599) in accordance with University Policy 1404.

If it is at all possible to replace the stolen/damaged item with the same brand and model that was lost, you should do so.  The State reimburses the University for replacement with the same model or nearest equivalent.  In some cases it isn’t possible to replace the item with the exact model due to discontinuation of some items.  In those cases, you would need to find the nearest equivalent to the lost or damaged item(s).  If you do this you must provide the specifications for the original item and the specifications for the replacement of the like item.  If you do choose to upgrade the item, instead of purchasing the same item or nearest equivalent, the Division of Risk Management will reimburse GMU for the cost of the item minus any cost for upgrading the item.

The department that owns or operates the property or vehicle is responsible for the damage and comprehensive deductible of $1,000 per occurrence.

The personal property of faculty, staff, students, contractors, and visitors is ordinarily excluded from coverage.  The exception to this policy is when the property is a written condition of employment that you provide your own tools, equipment, camera, computer, etc. and that has been agreed to before a loss, then the items are covered.  A copy of this agreement must be on file with the Office of Risk Management (ORM) and Human Resources along with an itemized list of the items and their values.  This requirement must be documented in the position description (PD) or in a memorandum from the department head to the ORM and Human Resources prior to the loss/damage.  Upon the loss or damage contact the University Police (703-993-2810) and the ORM (703-993-2599).  Otherwise coverage can usually be found under a homeowner’s policy.

A claim can only be considered if there is clear evidence that the damage occurred as a result of negligence on the part of the University or if a state owned vehicle can be identified as having caused the damage.

A non-state employee may drive a state owned vehicle if authorized by the appropriate person in the State agency.  Anyone driving a State owned vehicle with authorization on state business is considered an agent and is covered through the Commonwealth of Virginia’s Risk Management Plan.

No.  The owner of a vehicle is financially responsible for losses due to the operation of that vehicle.  The Commonwealth of Virginia’s Risk Management Plan may provide defense and payment in excess of your policy.  The Plan would still only pay up to $2,000,000 excess of your personal policy limits.

  1. Call the Virginia State Police (703-323-4500) for off-campus accidents and the University Police for on-campus accidents (703-993-2810).
  2. Fill out the paperwork located in the glove compartment of all state-owned vehicles.
  3. Contact the Office of Risk Management (703-993-2599).
  4. Notify the department charged with the vehicle, your supervisor, and/or to the Motor Pool Dispatcher (703-993-2442).

Students are covered only while participating in an authorized scope of a clinical, internship, externship, or other educational program in order to meet pedagogical requirements.

Faculty, staff, and other agents who are acting within the course and scope of their employment are covered under the Plan.

The Commonwealth of Virginia provides worldwide insurance protection for all State agencies and their personnel through the Commonwealth of Virginia’s Risk Management Plan. In general, this coverage includes liability (general, professional, and automobile), property, medical malpractice, automobile physical damage (Car Care), fidelity bond (faithful performance and crime), and watercraft.

The practice of Risk Management is identifying and analyzing loss exposures other than business risks and taking steps to minimize the financial impact of those risks.