How to Become and Authorized Driver
(For state-owned, leased or rented Vehicles used for official University business)
Note: the below process is for vehicles licensed for road use only
Read and understand Policy 1411 and its Procedures
Complete the Driver Acknowledgement Form
Submit a Motor Vehicle Request and Release Form
Maintain an acceptable driving record per University policy
Attend Driver Awareness Training (register)
Repeat Training every 2 years
Attend hands-on training with the Mason Police Department (register)
Repeat training every 2 years
ONLY TAKE IF YOU ARE OPERATING THESE VEHICLES
TO REMIAN AUTHORIZED TO DRIVE YOU MUST:
- STAY IN COMPLIANCE WITH UNIVERSITY POLICY 1411, VEHICLE USE.
- MAINTAIN AN ACCEPTABLE MVR
- COMPLETE DRIVER AWARENESS TRAINING EVERY TWO YEARS.
- SELF-REPORT ALL MOVING VIOLATIONS TO A SUPERVISOR AND ORM WITHIN 3 DAYS.
Authorized Driver Quick Tips:
- Anyone (employee, student, volunteer) who operates a vehicle on behalf of Mason must be authorized to drive by completing the above process.
- Traffic citations are always the responsibility of the driver, not George Mason University.
- All authorized drivers are required to self-report moving citations within 3 days to their supervisor and Operational Risk Management, even when not actively driving for Mason business, as your MVR (Motor Vehicle Record) status could change.