AVOID WINTER SLIPS AND FALLS
Slips and falls increase when inclement weather occurs. Be careful when using sidewalks, steps and parking lots on campus. Areas may have wet leaves, snow and ice. Facilities Management does an excellent job of keeping sidewalks and steps clear of debris; however, you may still encounter problem areas. If you notice an area that needs additional attention, please notify Facilities Management at 703-993-2525 so the issue can be resolved.
Tips to prevent slips and falls:
- Wear shoes or boots that provide traction on snow and ice such as rubber and neoprene composite. Avoid plastic and leather soles.
- Take small steps to keep your center of balance.
- Walk slowly and avoid turning too sharp when changing your direction.
- Keep both hands free for balance, rather than in your pockets. Use a backpack instead of a briefcase to carry your items to and from the office.
- Use handrails where they exist.
- Keep your eyes on where you are going.
- Use special care when entering and exiting vehicles. Use the vehicle for support.
- Walk in designated walkways. Taking shortcuts over snow piles and areas where snow and ice removal is not feasible can be hazardous.
- When you enter a building from outdoors in inclement weather, wipe your shoes thoroughly on a doormat, not just to keep the floor clean, but to prevent the wetness of your shoes from making you slip and perhaps fall.
In addition, please visit Mason’s Policy website www.universitypolicy.gmu.edu and review University Policy 2207, Inclement Weather/Emergency Closure, to learn more about inclement weather and related topics.