Driver Awareness Training
The Office of Risk Management has training available for anyone who operates a State-owned, leased or rented vehicle for State business. The objectives of the course are:
- to gain knowledge of Federal and State laws as they apply to Mason drivers that drive state-owned vehicles
- to gain knowledge of safety guidelines for properly operating state-owned vehicles to minimize incidents and accidents
- to acquire information needed to properly report an incident or accident
Space is limited for each session. REGISTER NOW!
Select your preferred date to register. If minimum registration numbers are not met the class may be cancelled. In addition, room location, date and time may change to meet demand. You will be notified via email if your scheduled session has been cancelled or moved. *Please note that if you arrive more than 10 minutes late to the training or depart the training early you will not receive credit for your attendance.
Note: If the campus in under and active closure Alert training sessions will be cancelled.
- November 20, 2019 – 11:00am – 11:45am – Fairfax Campus, Merten Hall 1204
- December 18, 2019 – 9:30am – 10:15am
- January 28, 2020 – 2:0opm – 2:45pm – Fairfax Campus, Merten Hall 1201
- February 28, 2020 – 9:30am – 10:15am – Fairfax Campus, Merten Hall 1201
- March 24, 2020 – 9:30am – 10:15am – Fairfax Campus, Merten Hall 1201
All drivers who operate any State-owned, leased or rented vehicle should be in compliance with University Policy 1411, Vehicle Use. In addition, University Policy 1401 contains information on special training required for the use and operation of 11 and 15 passenger vans.
The in-class portion of the 11 and 15 passenger van training is included in ORM’s Driver Awareness Training and is a prerequisite to the hands-on van training offered by the Mason Police Department. You must complete ORM’s training and have an acceptable MVR check, as described in University Policy 1411, before you can register for the hands-on passenger van training.
Drivers are encouraged to operate the vehicle within the confines of Facilities Management parking area before taking it onto the road. Questions regarding the safety or operation of a vehicle should be addressed to the Facilities Management’s Automotive Shop (703-993-2538).