What if I want to hold a campus function at an off-campus facility?

It is strongly recommended that a written contract or memorandum of understanding be prepared that states the responsibilities of both parties.  In general, the landlord should be responsible for the safe condition of the facility.  Mason should be responsible for only the event and the negligent acts or omissions of its employees and agents.  Items like security, parking, and maintenance should be addressed in the contract.  If the landlord insists that GMU indemnify, hold harmless, or make the property owner an additional insured, the matter must be referred to the Office of Risk Management (ORM) and University Counsel.  In addition, if requested, ORM will send the other party a Certificate of Insurance that will demonstrate Mason’s insurance coverage.