Who pays the fine if I receive a citation while operating a vehicle for official Mason business?

The driver of the vehicle is responsible for any tickets, fines or fees incurred while operating vehicles for university business. Any points associated with the tickets will also be applied to the operator’s driving record.

What is my department’s financial responsibility in the event of loss or damage to state property or vehicles?

The department that owns or operates the property or vehicle is responsible for the damage and comprehensive deductible of $1,000 per occurrence. If several departments are affected by the same event, the $1,000 deductible is pro-rated among the various departments.

May a non-state employee drive a state vehicle? Are they protected against liability claims if they do?

A non-state employee may drive a state owned vehicle if authorized by the appropriate person in the State agency.  Anyone driving a State owned vehicle with authorization on state business is considered an agent and is covered through the Commonwealth of Virginia’s Risk Management Plan.

Will I be covered if I have a vehicle accident in my own personal vehicle while on official University business?

No, the owner of a personal vehicle is financially responsible for losses to their personal vehicles while conducting official University business. The Commonwealth of Virginia’s Risk Management Plan may provide defense and payment in excess of your policy.  The Plan would still only pay up to $2,000,000 excess of your personal policy limits. *Before operating a personal vehicle for official University business the driver must be compliant with University Policy 1411, Vehicle Use, and MUST have supervisor’s permission.

What do I do if I have a vehicle accident in a state owned or rented vehicle while on official University business?

  1. Call the Virginia State Police (703-803-2676) for off-campus accidents and University Police for on-campus accidents (703-993-2810). Contact the local police department if you are traveling out of state.
  2. Fill out the paperwork located in the glove compartment of all university owned vehicles. Forms are also located on our website here.
  3. Notify your supervisor and contact the Operational Risk Management (703-993-2599) to report the accident.
  4. If you involved in an accident while utilizing a rental vehicle for University business, report the accident to the rental company and provide the University’s insurance card located here.