COVID-19- Event Exception Working Group Guidelines
Current as of August 21, 2020
The Events Exception Committee will perform risk assessments, as requested by the Event Coordinator, on specific events/gatherings through the Fall semester.
In the interest of public health and safety, attendance at social gathering/events should be minimized to prevent the spread of COVID-19 during Mason Stages 3-5. Larger gatherings and intense contact increase the risk of exposure.
Events/Gatherings (any gathering – indoor/outdoor – of individuals organized by a University department, student organization, or external entity) guidelines for Mason Stages 3-5:
- On campus Event/Gatherings cannot exceed 150 participants to include organizers.
- Off campus Events/Gatherings may not exceed 10 participants to include organizers.
- No more than 50% occupancy of event space.
- Limit occupancy and configure spaces to ensure that ten feet of physical distance is maintained for exercise activities, singing, or cheering is performed, and at least six feet of distance for all other settings.
- Events/Gatherings cannot be open to the general public.
- Events/Gatherings must be seated or have clearly marked space to ensure appropriate physical distancing.
- Face covering required while participating.
- Ensure exits are configured to reduce the occurrence of bottlenecks at the conclusion of the event.
- Post signage at the entrance that states that no one with a fever or symptoms of COVID-19, or known exposure to a COVID-19 case in the prior 14 days, is permitted in the establishment. Individuals should complete the Mason COVID Healthcheck and receive a “green light” status on the day of the event.
- Post signage to provide public health reminders regarding physical distancing, gatherings, options for high-risk individuals, and staying home if sick.
- Provide a place for staff and attendees to wash hands with soap and water, or provide alcohol-based hand sanitizers containing at least 60% alcohol.
Note: Exceptions will be considered for participant limit only.
Approved by EMEC on August 21, 2020