Virtual Programs, Events, and Camps
Guidance updated 5/8/2020
A programs, events, and camps activities (PEC) offering virtual programs should be registered. Please visit camps.gmu.edu for more information.
Mason faculty, staff, students and volunteers who operate/participate in an online program involving minors must successfully complete a background check. Those completing background checks will need access to a printer, internet connection, and a way to return documents electronically (by scanning or sending a photo of a signed form). Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to begin the process or ask questions.
Setting up an Online Program
Online programs should utilize Mason-approved software.
Safe Contact and Privacy Rules
The following safety rules apply to virtual programs for minors:
- Avoid one-to-one virtual contact with a minor.
- Mason recommends that at least two adults are online during live programs.
- No private direct messaging, texting, chatting, or personal emails between a minor and a program supervisor/online teacher is permissible. Group messages and posts are acceptable and must be viewable by all participants.
- Minors may not engage in activities involving hazardous materials (chemical, biological, radiation) or work with mechanical tools at home during an online program. For questions about whether a proposed activity can be done safely, please contact email@example.com .
- Parents/guardians must be provided with access information to all virtual meetings and programs.
- Review the Dos and Don’ts of working with minors for reminders on behavioral expectations.
Recording of Online Sessions
If program administrators wish to record any online sessions, they must obtain the consent of all parents/guardians by use of the Photo and Video Recording Release Form. Program administrators may not record online sessions to their personal computer or device. Recordings must be made to the cloud. Recordings may be shared afterwards with participants in an un-editable format.
Parents/guardians of participating minors must complete the following two forms and submit them to the program administrator:
The procedures for reporting abuse and neglect remain the same for online programs.
Participants who need to request disability accommodations should contact their program administrator.